Monday, May 25, 2009

Washington, DC: Day 2






Hey everybody, its me again

Day 2 of Washington, DC was freakin amazing!

I took my first trip to the National Mall and it was incredible. I visited the Lincoln Memorial and was blown away by how big it was! The thing is freakin huge!

The most amazing part about it was when I was walking up the steps and I overheard a dad telling his son about Martin Luther King, Jr. To hear about this amazing man while at the monument dedicated to the man who abolished slavery was truly inspiring and very emotional. THis is what DC and these monuments are all about. It's about teaching the history of this great nation to the next generation. Passing on the wisdom, anecdotes, and actions of the courageous men and women who have come before us.

I then went and visited the Vietnam War Memorial. The day i visited happened to be Memorial Day. What an amazing time to visit such a holy place. This land and this monument is literally sacred ground. Seeing the names of our fallen soldiers etched into that black marble, especially on Memorial Day, was overwhelming to say the least. Mementoes and flowers were left every inch and each one was unique and more heartbreaking than the one before.

I walked up and down the streets of Washington, DC (mainly in Foggy Bottom) for most the day. Discovering hidden parks and statues and just absorbing the culture and the history of where I was. I also got to see the Dept of State (sadly Hillary was not in lol) and explored the rest of the George Washington University campus. It is so beautiful up here. Trees everywhere and really clean! At least compared to Cincinnati.

I also heard some amazing news from a friend about a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Please keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer that it all works out!

Well I'm off to bed I think. Tomorrow I'm going to try to figure out the Metro and do some more sight seeing. WIll probably stop by the RFK Stadium to pick up some DC United gear and maybe see a museum or two.

Night!

No comments: